Having your auto glass chipped or cracked can be a real hassle to deal with. Now, you have something that may be obstructing your view that needs to be fixed. On top of this, you need to find the time to get the crack or chip fixed and the money. These are all things that just make it a huge pain to deal with. There are some things that you can do to try and prevent chips and cracks from happening. These are all things that you can do while driving that will keep your glass and you just a little bit safer.
- Never drive behind large dump trucks or construction trucks. They are usually carrying many different objects that have small pieces that can break off or large amount of dirt flying out of it. All of these things can fly out of their truck and hit the glass of your vehicle.
- Never tailgate a car. This is not only good for your glass, but really for your own safety. The tires of a car can kick up small rocks or large amounts of dirt from the road. If they do, these things will be sent flying back into your windshield. If you keep some distance between the cars though, these rocks will not be able to reach your car.
- Try parking only in paved areas. If you park on the side of a road, there will be cars speeding by kicking dirt and rocks up from the road. All of these things could be sent speeding towards your auto glass.
- Always make sure that your windshield wipers are good. If they are torn or cracked, it may cause them to scratch or chip the windshield.
- If you happen to live in a cold climate, you should always use a plastic ice scraper. A metal one will just scratch your auto glass when it hits it. A plastic one is usually flexible and will cause no damage.
- Also, never use hot water to clear ice from your auto glass. The hot water will cause any chips to instantly start to crack. If you have no other way to get rid of the ice, you should try using some salt to melt it away.
- Also, if you do notice a chip or a crack, you should try getting it fixed right away. Leaving it be for too long may cause it to become larger or cause different problems for you.
As you can see, there are many things you can do to keep your auto glass clear from any chips or cracks. Of course, these are not fool proof. Anything can happen at any given time. You just want to make sure that you are at least taking precautions when you are driving so that there is as small of a chance as possible. If you need more help call San Antonio Auto Glass